Pranayama Workshop by Dr. Sundar Balasubramanian
2019 TNF Convention, Atlanta
Early Morning Pranayama Sessions
8.00 am – 9. 00 am on Saturday, May 25, 2019
8.00 am – 9. 00 am on Sunday, May 26, 2019
- Gentle Pranayama exercises
- Good for stress relief, memory, immunity, circulation, and overall health
- Anyone over 10 years of age can attend
- No large meal in the past 2 hours (You can have your breakfast after the session!)
- No need for Yoga mat or Yoga apparels (We are NOT going to do Asanas. So you can come in your TNF event fancy clothes like suit, saree, dhoti etc!)
- You will practice sitting on a chair. You will not sweat. No need to shower afterwards!
- Drink adequate water. You can have morning tea, but better avoid coffee before the session
- No electronic recording of the session
- Private consultation available during convention
Description of the workshop (1 hour)
Pranayama is one of the key practices within the Yoga discipline. Pranayama is gaining increasing importance throughout the world. Dr. Sundar Balasubramanian is a pioneer in the area of salivary biomarkers combining Pranayama practice. He has been researching techniques related to Pranayama from the ancient and unique Siddha tradition. He has published scientific research papers and book based on Thirumanthiram, written by Saint Thirumoolar. This workshop consisting of both theoretical and practical components is unique in combining ancient wisdom with modern science based on his first hand research. The attendees will be able to
- Get acquainted with the ancient literary excerpts on Pranayama
- Get to practice key exercises from both the Pranayama tradition and new exercises designed by Dr. Sundar
- Understand the biological mechanisms of Pranayama
- Learn the clinical and social applications of Pranayama
This workshop will help anyone who is interested in the area of Pranayama. Participants can learn easy Pranayama techniques to relieve day to day stress, and improve memory, immunity, and circulation. Patients and caregivers dealing with chronic illnesses could use Pranayama as a way to symptom management.
Dr. Sundar Balasubramanian is a Radiation Oncology/Cell Biology researcher currently studying cellular and molecular mechanisms involved in resistance to cancer therapy at the Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC, USA. He is also a Yoga Biology researcher, and is the Founder/Director of PranaScience Institute. Sundar’s Yoga research has provided scientific evidence how Yoga breathing practices could promote wellbeing in health and disease. He has recently published a book titled “PranaScience: Decoding Yoga Breathing”. His recent audio album is “Chanting Is Pranayama”. This JC Bose Memorial Awardee’s work is well publicized through TEDx talk, Discover Magazine, New York Times, Huffington Post, and other popular media.
Sundar grew up in Tamilnadu, India in a traditional Yoga and Siddha medicine practicing family background; and obtained his bachelor’s degree from Swami Chitbhavananda’s Vivekananda Gurukula College in India where he deepened his Asana, Pranayama, Meditation, and Kirtan practices. He has been conducting workshops and giving talks on the scientific aspects of Pranayama globally. He is a member of International Association of Yoga Therapists, and the Integral Yoga Teachers Association, and he is an IAYT certified Yoga therapist (C-IAYT). He is the Founder Director of Yoga Education Trust in India, and an adjunct faculty at the Manipal Academy of Higher Education, Manipal, India and Siddha Vetha Center for Transdisciplinary Studies in New Jersey, USA.
Popular Links about the Presenter
TEDx Talk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIfwbEvXtwo
Discover Magazine: http://discovermagazine.com/2019/apr/take-a-deep-breath
We appreciate your generous donations towards establishing the Thirumoolar Tamil Chair at the Medical University of South Carolina to conduct Pranayama research. Checks are payable to Tamil Chair Inc (with a note: Thirumoolar Chair). Your contributions are tax deductible. PranaScience book will be available at the workshop for purchase.
Dr. Sundar Balasubramanian
Tamil Chair Inc – http://harvardtamilchair.org/thirumoolar